Sunday, August 28, 2005

New Home

Well, I moved blogs. This just seems to be more user friendly than the other blog, so welcome and glad you found me.

Now you all know that I'm retiring in three months, but just for shits and giggles, I emailed my National HQ and asked them what they might offer if I stayed. I might have considered Europe or a big promotion, but neither were forthcoming. They offered me a ton of places in the States, North Carolyn, New York, and even my favorite spot in the world California, but I had to reject them all, because none of them sounds better than HOME.

We had a nice weekend. We went to Yamada-san's student show and it was not only fun but some of his students are better than the Master. It was funny, the vase that they displayed of mine was the only piece that I had planned on tossing in the garbage. I don't know what became of my really good vase, its probably still in the kiln somewhere.

Roy wants me to continue with pottery when we get home, but its expensive and there is just so much you can do with plates, pots and vases. They are scattered around my house as it is and I don't use any of them. I will miss Yamada-san and wish that I had started with him sooner.

Yamada-san has this beautiful plate that I am going to buy. Its shows off his artistic talent more than anything that I have ever seen. The top is done in 'white snake glaze'. This glaze Yamada-san developed, It goes on black but when fired, its bubbles and ripples and looks sort of like snake skin. (Iwakuni is famous for white snakes) Then the glazes go from pink to blues and in the center is his famous etching of the Kintai Bridge (also an Iwakuni) landmark. When I asked how much he wanted for it, he said 50,000 Yen, (just under $500 dollars) and I nearly fainted. But Taiko, my friend and co-student gave him this long sob story about my retireing and he dropped the price to $300. SOLD, Its beautiful and something I will treasure for ever.

Three months my friends.

No comments: