Sunday, August 12, 2007


I just finished reading this great blog written by a single lady full-time RVer and she was talking about how most women are the co-piolets who help back the rig up and read the maps. She is right. In our circle of friends, the guys do the driving and the gals enjoy the scenery.
Personally, I love to drive and in our family it's just easier for me to drive since I usually know the way to go, where to go and since Roy rarely wears his hearing aids and can't hear my directions , its worked out best for the both of us.
Now, I have to say that it was Roy who taught me to drive something 30 foot long. He explained the wide corner thing and the "straighten out the road" thing and it's a comfort to have him in my rearview mirror when backing up. Also it's his job to hook up the utilities and SEWER and I certainly don't complain about that.
Would I like to do the single thing? End of this month I am going camping with our friends and Roy can't come, so I decided I would go it alone. I think I can figure out the sewer thing, one hose, one hole, stick A into B. I know that I can do the electricity thing cause I usually have to go behind him and turn the switch to the "on" position, he usually forgets and I don't think the campground has TV or Cable so that won't be a problem. But the backing up thing... Maybe I can find someone to guide me in or find a pull through. Maybe I'll find a big empty parking lot and some orange cones and practice a bit before I go.
There seems to be a lot of different styles to RVers and the more I travel, the more differences we notice. The full-timers must be at the top of the list. They live and love, travel and work in their up to 40 footer. Some workcamp, some have jobs that only require internet connections and some are just lucky like us and are retired. Lots of full timers stop after a few years as health or children or just living on solid ground again draws them back. I spoke with a lady at the pool just recently who sold their home on wheels after 5 years on the road, She missed her piano and thats why they quit.
Then there are the snowbirds and their counterparts the sunbirds. The snowbirds geneally live in the north and when the leaves start to turn, they pack up their motorhomes for some warm weather living. The sunbirds (I think I coined that) live in the warm south, and come out during summers and then go and hunker down at home in the winter. Both are like part-time full timers.
The episotic traveler, like Roy and I, come in all sorts. Roy and I like to just set a compass point and head that way, checking out all the sites along the way. Other RVers find a campground they like, and go spend a week or weekend there when they can. That appeals to be also
Recently we joined the Nomads, a group of RVers who meet once a month and spend the weekend camping at one site or another. We dry camped at Cle Elem, we spent a great weekend by the lake at Tanwax and our next trip is going to be in the mountains west of Levenworth. We eat together and play together and have a great time. I think I am going to drag out the Dutch Oven and see if I can find any great recipes.
So, plans for the future. In September we're going to northeast Oregon and spend a week or so over there. George, our buddy and friend is coming with us and I know we will have a great time. There is just about something for everyone. For the History Buff in me, we are going to see the Oregon Trail. Do you know that there are places where you can still actually see the wagonwheel ruts in the ground. We are going to take an antique train thru Hells Canyon wilderness. We're going to explore John Day Fossil Beds and walk thru a couple ghost towns. All in all, its going to be a great time and I am so looking forward to it.
Do you know I was like 10 when I last saw the Grand Canyon and so I think Roy and I are going to just "do" National Parks next year, starting with the Grand Lady and ending at Glacier. I know its going to be fun.

No comments: