Sunday, February 05, 2012

Route 66,

Toured aa bit of Route 66 yesterday driving on it from Barstow eastward until just beyond the town of Ludlow where the scenery became sparce and 66 became a washboard of ruts and ruin. As soon as I could I got back on Hwy 40 east and while the scenery didn't improve the road surface did.

I thought about turning back as I had been on the portion of 66 that goes thru Amboy a couple years ago but when the chance came, a sign was posted pointing to Kelso, Ca and I remembered there was a depot/visitors center there and so headed north.

It was worth the detour as the scenery improved and I got to see some of Calif that is certainly off the beaten path. Then, not wanting to retrace my tour, I continued north to Baker and then back to Barstow on Hwy 15, making sort of a loop

No comments: